Sunday 10 August 2008

Call me crazy

Yes, I'm sure you will.

I had a bit of a low point last week after the AMH results. I phoned around a few IVF clinics. Just a few. The answer was the same, no chance, 0.01% chance, you should think about a donor, I think you need counselling etc etc.

I certainly agree about the counselling, and will probably speak to my doctor about that.

BUT, and its a big but. I then spoke to a doctor in London, explained my situation, and instead of writing me off, he told me about this drug called DHEA, which is a type of hormone, not licensed in the UK, you can buy it over the internet. He told me to take it for at least 4 months and have my tests done again (if I am not pregnant by then....IF...can you believe it!) And then to speak to him again and see if we could do IVF with him, using my own eggs.

It goes on to get even better. I had heard of this drug before I spoke to him. Had ordered it. It was waiting for me to collect it from the local post office. Funnily enough, I have now started taking it!

I know the odds are still stacked against me, but it has to be worth a shot, right?

My stupid body is playing nasty tricks on me, ever since I started the HRT. LAst week, just before I got the AMH results, I was convinced I was fixed. I had EWCM, so thought I was ovulating. Add this to the pains in my side, I thought it would all be okay. A few days later and some spotting (implantation thinks me). I'm also still lactating, despite my prolactin levels being apparently normal.

Maybe its a phantom pregnancy. Maybe the last few months have all been a dream. Maybe I'm not even real. Maybe I'm just plain crazy.

I hope this works. I hope no-one else ever goes through this. I hope everyone who wants one, gets a baby.

3 comments:

I Believe in Miracles said...

Never heard of that drug... but I hope it works!!!

**BIG HUGS**

Anonymous said...

DHEA is used here in Australia. I personally know one woman who went from zero or one egg at egg pick up (for each of 3 IVF cycles) before getting 6 eggs on her first post-DHEA cycle! Before that she was told she had an abnormally low ovarian reserve. It is said to improve egg quality and numbers in oldies such as meself too....but I am yet to try. Bless you for your beautiful sentiment that all people who want a baby should get one...and should not have to go through this crap! I truly hope it works out for you...best wishes!

Lifeslurper said...

Whoops....I should add that those results on DHEA were after just less than 4 months use. Pretty good, eh?