Friday 30 May 2008

Shock or horror?

Actually, another reaction which has really surprised me, and the vast majority of people have asked, is 'Oh, did you want a baby, then?'

This in itself is really surprising, for one thing, I had imagined the question would be the other way around, you know, like to ask someone if they didnt want one. Not that its much better, but why would I even bother telling you we were having problems if we didnt want one, nevermind with a tear in my eye, or more often than not, tears streaming down my red, puffy face.

This has got me thinking, what about me is it that people assume then, that I wont want to have a family? Is it the fact we got married at 25, we bought a house, we have a looot of pets (furry children, you know). Even some of our families have been shocked, despite the fact we have talked openly about our plans for children, and go gooey over other peoples babies.

Or is it the fact that we got to 26 and 28 without one, which officially makes me the oldest woman in my family to not have a baby, or that we have careers, or do I just not look the type? I dont appear to have mentioned it, but I am a far cry from a skinny malinky, maybe I exude IF vibes that other people can read, and they got misinterpreted as 'not interested' vibes.

So to set the record straight, we do want children. It might not be easy, and it might not be soon, but we will have children.

No comments: